Friday, November 6, 2020

Perhaps a Hobby First: Pictures of a Cryptoglossa Pupa!

That's right, I've got up close pictures of a Cryptoglossa muricata pupa, and this may be the first time pictures of pupae of this species have ever been taken, or at least shared online! 😁

The person who sent me my previous two C.muricata larvae sent me her last one to try and rear (even though she herself has now reared two of them up to adulthood herself!), which I received on Oct 23rd. Turns out it was an essentially immobile, pre-pupal larva, and as soon as I received it I placed it in an artificial pupal cell in a warm area so it could pupate properly. The artificial pupal cell is a concave layer of moist (but not wet) sand, in a moderately ventilated 2 oz deli cup. 
On Oct 28th, the larva pupated, at which point I was able to get some pictures! 
Unfortunately, one of the hind legs is weirdly bent behind the pupa, I don't know why or how that happened, but hopefully it makes it to maturity and ecloses successfully nonetheless! 🤞

Here are some pictures of the pre-pupal larva, and the pupa:

Pre-pupal larva

Pupa

The pupae of this species look pretty cool, kinda chonky! 😄 My other pupa is developing nicely BTW, and hopefully will mature soon. 🤞

Anyways, that's gonna do it for this post, thanks for reading everyone, hope you enjoyed, stay safe, and I'll see you all next time! 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment