Monday, February 8, 2016

Tenebrio obscurus Update!

Good news! Most of the mealworms have pupated, and some have turned into adults already! And, they are in fact Tenebrio obscurus! The enlarged front legs and the darker color are characteristic of this species. Now I have both of the commonly kept Tenebrio, and this species was free!

Here are some pictures of the adults:










I am very glad these turned out to be T.obscurus, and I look forward to breeding this species!

Hope you guys enjoyed this post, I will see you all next time! :)

2 comments:

  1. I have been able to get a few actual worms of Tenebrio Obscurus. Unfortunately, all of the pupa are turning into deformed beetles. I am not sure what I am doing wrong but I had 20 worms and I have only one normal beetle. Can you give me some pointers? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, are you keeping them humid or something? If they have adequate space, and are being kept pretty dry, you shouldn't be having problems... Perhaps give them a piece of bark or something to grab onto when molting? I assume the deformities are of the elytra right?

      Delete