Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Another Bantua Birth!!!

Well, I anticipated that I'd have another wave of Bantua births in late April to early May, but apparently one female couldn't wait! 😁

Found some newborns in the enclosure tonight, presumably from one female, interestingly they were a little variable in size, some appeared to be the same size as L1 nymphs from previous litters, but some were notably smaller, I'd say only two thirds the size of the normal nymphs, (but fully developed and everything).

I assume this means females really do give birth to more nymphs in their second litters than in their first, with larger litters containing smaller nymphs... Which is a little odd TBH, but then again, the Perisphaerinae specialize in being odd. 😄

I am a little worried that some of the smaller nymphs may actually be able to fit through a FEW of the ventilation holes I've poked... 🙃 But honestly they seem mostly inclined to hide during their first instar, and even the smallest nymphs will be too big to escape through any of the ventilation holes in their next molt, which will probably happen within a week. And only very few of the holes might be big enough for them to escape from, so I'm not too worried about it. 😛

I'm just happy to finally get some good news this month, between the coronavirus pandemic, me slicing up my finger while doing dishes and having to get stitches, and then developing a case of pancreatitis a couple days later, this first week of April has been ROUGH for me... But this good news makes it all the more bearable! 😅

Well, that does it for this post, no photos, sorry, my finger is still healing and it would be quite difficult to take pictures ATM... Hope you all enjoyed this post, take care, stay distanced, and I'll see you next time! 😉


No comments:

Post a Comment