Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Corydidarum, Eurycotis, Latiblattella, & Pystalla Updates!

Well, after several months of waiting, I finally found some newborn nymphs in my Corydidarum pygmaea enclosure again! 😄 Turns out, low ventilation may have been the reason my females weren't producing any more young, I moved them to a bigger, taller enclosure once I got the first batch of babies, and only put ventilation holes along the upper sides of the enclosure and in the lid, and they just weren't breeding any more. Then, a couple weeks ago, Kyle Kandilian informed me that the reason they weren't breeding may be because of a lack of good ventilation. So I added more ventilation holes lower down on the sides of the cage a couple days after he said that, and now, I've got babies again!

My older nymphs are doing great BTW, they are getting pretty big, in fact I'm pretty sure most of them are close to maturing! 😊 My females are actually growing pretty quickly compared to the males, so I'm hoping some may mature before all of the males do, or at least around the same time, otherwise the males will probably all die before mating with them. Oh well, I got more nymphs now anyway, so if the males from the first litter don't get to mate with them, the males from this second litter will.

Here are a few pictures of the new nymphs:




The newborn nymphs of this species are SO cute!! 😍 Glad I got the females to start reproducing again, let's hope even more litters will follow!

My Eurycotis improcera nymphs are growing nicely, however they are a pain in the butt to contain while doing maintenance, they are very fast and good at climbing, and always try to escape when I open the lid. This has made it exceptionally difficult to photograph them. The other day I was able to get a few pictures of them, they aren't the best, but they at least show off some of the new coloration they are developing.

Here they are:




I really can't wait until these mature!

Nothing particularly interesting has happened to my Latiblattella lucifrons lately, however, I realized that I never got any pictures of my male, so yesterday when I was doing maintenance on their cage and saw that the male was at the top, rather than hiding among the bark or dead leaves in the enclosure like he usually does, I knew I had to get some pictures of him. 🙂

Here he is:





Looks pretty similar to a L.rehni male, but with a broader pronotum and slightly different markings.

I am very happy to announce that all of my Pystalla horrida nymphs have now molted to L2! 😁 They are eating pretty often, and are now accepting tiny Hemiblabera tenebricosa nymphs, (which is great because my culture just had a baby explosion!). I even got to see them hunt the other day, very fun to watch!

Here are some pictures of them:





Glad these seem to be doing well in my care, I have really been enjoying watching them grow, they are very attractive little creatures!

Anyway, that's gonna do it for today, I hope everyone enjoyed, will see you all soon! 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment