Saturday, December 24, 2016

Some More Roach & Isopod Updates

My Arenivaga cf. genitalis pair has been doing very well, and I suspect my male may mature soon!

I took some pictures of them today, here they are:





















I can't wait until my male matures, I really want to breed this species successfully!

Unfortunately my Arenivaga tonkawa are not doing well at all, one of my two remaining females died last week, she was covered in mold, so I am beginning to wonder if the reason my two males died was due to an entomophagus fungus, they are housed in the same enclosure that I had my old Cariblatta lutea in, which all succumbed to an entomophagus mold. In any case, once I get some new A.tonkawa I will definitely be housing them in a different enclosure, and once my last female dies I will throw her cage out.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Balta notulata are going through a little bit of a rough patch, a couple weeks ago I noticed two of my nymphs had died and the remaining nymphs and adults had all their tibia bitten off for some reason, and were all starving since they couldn't climb into the food bowl.

I took them out of their enclosure, sterilized their substrate and decor and then put them back in, however the substrate and decor became overgrown with white fuzzy mold which made it hard for the roaches to move around, so a couple more nymphs died. I moved them to a smaller enclosure, and they seemed to be doing well, however a different type of mold started to grow in their enclosure, one that turns the substrate and decor into one solid mass, so I had to rehouse them, yet again!

I now have them in an enclosure with about half an inch of coconut fiber and sand at the bottom, (sand to retard fungal growth), with some bark pieces and dead leaves as hides. There are two adult females, both with chewed off tibia, and three nymphs, two of which had their tibia chewed off but they have since molted and regrown them. They have all been doing much better, and hopefully some of the nymphs will turn out to be males so they can mate with my females and I can finally breed this species.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I finally got some pictures of my Trachelipus rathkii, which I caught a few months ago, most of them are orange ones. I found some babies in the enclosure last week, so it looks like this species is doing well for me!

Here are those pictures:























I also got some pictures of my Porcellionides pruinosus too, they are doing good for me, ironically not so much so in their designated enclosure, but very much so in my Parcoblatta virginica enclosure.

Anyway, here they are:















The Dalmatian Oniscus asellus have been doing great, they had some more mancae recently, which also look like they carry the Dalmatian trait, and the adults are getting quite large!

Here are some pictures I took of them today:



















Overall it seems like all my isopods are doing well, which is always good to see.

Anyways, that's gonna do it for today, I hope you guys all enjoyed this post, happy holidays everyone! :)

2 comments:

  1. Glad all your inverts are doing great! :) Man, that second dalmation O.asellus looks amazing(as do the others)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, me too! :) Yeah, that one is very interesting, the flash from my camera kinda obscured it's true colors though, there are a lot of yellow markings down the middle of his back, but the flash makes it all look white.

      Delete