Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Motyxia Eggs!!! (And a Small Dorylaea orini Update)

A few days ago I found my largest Motyxia female dead, which made me pretty upset. With only one millipede left, I decided to dig around the substrate a bit in search of eggs, particularly around areas they had previously been digging in. After a little searching I accidentally dug into a clump of eggs!!!

There was no wall around the eggs made of frass or anything, just looks like the female dig a hole, laid a bunch of eggs in it and covered it back up. I did not count how many eggs there were, but there were a lot, and in this paper they stated egg clumps of M.sequoiae can contain anywhere from 70 to 165 eggs, so I'll bet there are quite a few eggs in that chamber! Just so everyone knows, I've been keeping this species at a relatively low temperature, about 73 Fahrenheit.

As far as I know I am the first of the people keeping this species to report eggs, hopefully others will find eggs in their enclosures soon too!

Here are a couple of pictures of some of the eggs, the pictures aren't the best quality but I don't want to bother the eggs anymore than I already have to get better pictures:


















I will definitely keep you guys updated on these, I really hope they hatch for me!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I checked on my Dorylaea orini today, and discovered something rather upsetting.... all four of mine are female. :( Looks like I'll need to get a male soon.


















Well that's going to be it for today, I hope you guys enjoyed, and I'll see you all next post! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment