Monday, April 16, 2018

Eleodes rileyi and Dorylaea orini Updates!

I have been able to get a few Eleodes rileyi to pupate and eclose recently! My larvae had a weird wave of die offs towards the end of their development, and several died right before and during pupation, but luckily my original females produced a TON of offspring, and it doesn't seem like any special impetus is needed to induce pupation. Just small deli cups filled with moist, compressed coco fiber did the trick.

Here are some pictures of a pupa:

Here's the resulting adult, both teneral, and hardened:

And here's a different one:

I'm glad I was able to rear at least a few adults up, hopefully they will live for a couple years or so! 😊
My Dorylaea orini are starting to mature, and man don't they look lovely! 😁 I'm definitely going to have to rehouse them again soon, that's gonna be reeeeaaallll fun...

Here are some pics of an adult female:

And a subadult nymph for fun:

Hopefully this breeding attempt will be more successful than my last, I certainly have a more even sex ratio now, and way more individuals to start off with, so we'll see!

Well, that's gonna do it for this post everyone, hope you all enjoyed, will see you all next time! 😉

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Simandoa & Hormetica Updates!

Well, my largest Simandoa conserfariam nymph is a nymph no more, he matured a couple days ago, and he is beautiful! 😁 I can't believe it took me this long to acquire this species, the beautiful adult coloration, coupled with the faint squeaking they make when disturbed has made me fall in love with them! 😄

Here are some pictures of him:

He's really something isn't he? Can't wait until the other two nymphs mature, this is one good looking species!
Speaking of good looking species, two of my Hormetica apolinari males have matured, and oh boy are they gorgeous!!! 😍

Unfortunately they are runts, I've been keeping all six of mine in a gallon enclosure, planning on moving them when they seemed crowded, but instead of them getting crowded, I just stunted their growth, which is a bit of a bummer... But hey, they are still stunning regardless, and I'll be rehousing them very soon! 🙂

Here are some pictures of the males:

And here is a male compared to a male L.grossei:

I really hope I can breed this species successfully, unfortunately my L.grossei female died without producing any offspring, and my L.subcincta female hasn't given birth either... 😢 Hopefully the same thing won't happen to my H.apolinari, we'll find out I suppose.

Well, that's gonna do it for today folks, thanks for reading, will see you all next time! 😉

Sunday, April 8, 2018

Coniontis sp. "CA" & Corydidarum Updates!

My Coniontis sp. "CA" are doing pretty well, and my first CB adult is hardened up and ready to join the main colony! 🙂 It has a much thicker layer of wax than the other adults do, which will probably wear off a bit after a few weeks.

Here are some pictures of it:

And what's more, a second pupa has enclosed, and I found another pupa and a pre-pupa as well!
Here are a couple pictures of the more teneral adult:

Finally getting a good amount of larvae pupating now, hopefully this trend will continue! 😊
My Corydidarum pygmaea culture is sitting in a pretty good spot, there were at least two litters born last month, maybe three. The combination of heat, high ventilation, rotten logs for boring, and slightly dry upper layers of substrate but high air humidity really seems to be boosting their reproduction! 😄

Speaking of which, here are some photos I took of a mating pair, something you rarely see with this species!

Always a good sign more nymphs are on the way! 😁

Anyways, that does it for this post, hope everyone enjoyed, will see you all next time! 😉