Monday, January 3, 2022

Chorisoneura texensis: Third Time's the Charm!

Alan December Package Pt 1/2
Next post »»»

Thanks to Alan, I've got a couple new species to add to the collection! ๐Ÿ˜ In this post, let's cover a roach species that long time followers of this blog may remember, Chorisoneura texensis

This species has long given Blatticulturists trouble, myself included. I'm pretty sure I'm the first person to get this species to F2 back in 2016, but alas I lost that culture right after that point due to what I now believe were ventilation issues (and likely some Sinella induced stress). And my subsequent attempt next year also ended in failure. I believe both times my failure was due to a lack of ventilation, which is important to a lot of Ectobiids, Chorisoneura included I think. Alan was kind enough to catch and send me 8 nymphs from Alabama for me to test out my theory on, and I'm pretty confident I'm going to have success.

I've got my 8 subadult/pre-sub nymphs set up in a very well ventilated enclosure with a thin layer of coconut fiber as the substrate, and a bunch of leaf litter for hides. I'm keeping half of the enclosure humid, half dry, and I'm keeping them warm (75-85F°). For food I'm using dog food, pollen/artificial pollen, and fruits.

Here are some pictures of one of my nymphs:










Here's hoping they'll do well for me this go around, my record to beat is F3, fingers crossed I'll get there with my new knowledge, and great success in breeding Chorisoneura parishi!

Also, as a side note, Alan also sent me one of his Phortioeca males, because the first of my males to mature killed all the other males in my culture before they could even mature... Leaving me with one male, five females. Not the worst of sex ratios, however just to be safe, Alan was kind enough to send me his adult male, which is actually the father of all my individuals... Quite a strong and long lived individual, hopefully he and my own male won't fight much! ๐Ÿ˜…

Well, that's gonna be it for today, thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed, stay safe, and I'll see you all in the next post! ๐Ÿ˜‰

No comments:

Post a Comment