Saturday, December 12, 2020

Some Teneb Updates!

Alrighty, got a few misc Tenebrionidae updates for y'all, let's start with my Iphthiminus serratus.
Unfortunately I've only got two offspring left, most of the larvae made it to a large size but then slowly petered out, for some their substrate had degraded quite a bit, perhaps too much for them to feed on? It also appears like they prefer to have larger chunks of rotten wood to bore into, not just crushed substrate that's been compacted, and unfortunately I had most of them on a pretty well crushed substrate. Also, I think I kept them too cool, as they seem to be doing better now that I've got them warmer... 
However, the last two larvae have been doing great, and one of them actually just pupated! 😁 So fingers crossed it ecloses successfully! 🤞 I haven't dug the pupa out of it's cell, just because I didn't want to risk it molting into a deformed adult as a result. 

Anyways, here are some pics of the pupa through the side of it's deli cup:





Looks like a standard Teneb pupa to me, almost like a mix between an Eleodes and a Zophobas pupa. 
The other larva also looks healthy and may pupate soon too, and all five of the original WC adults are still alive and well, so I should be able to get another generation going in the Spring I hope! Next time I'll try to isolate more larvae early on, and will use bigger chunks of rotten pine for them as well. 

And now for a quick update on my Eleodes (Blapylis) sp. "ID", I actually released them like last month, to make room for the Tenebs I got from BIC. I documented the pupa of this species this go around though, and sold some to another breeder, so I'm pretty happy about that, maybe I'll keep them again one day, we'll see, but for now I needed the room, and didn't need to be keeping this particular species.

Lastly, just thought I'd share an interesting observation on my Ceronopus concolor. Mine have made little semi permanent burrows in the sand on the humid side of their enclosure! They keep re-using the same burrows, and will even drag food down into them, pretty cool!

Here are some pics of one of the burrows:



I did partially bury the cardboard tubes in their setup, and so now some of them are using those as their little "burrows", which is good because I don't know how stable their other burrows really are, (even though I greatly increased the substrate depth for them), especially after I water the humid side of their enclosure.

Well, that's gonna do it for this post, thanks for reading, I hope you all enjoyed, stay safe, and I'll see you all next time! 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment