Sunday, September 27, 2020

A Couple Small Teneb Updates

First off, my Eleodes obscura sulcipennis larvae are all growing well, looks like they're gonna be mature soon! 😁 Here are some pictures of the larvae:





I'm looking forward to hopefully rearing some large adults up here soon! 😄

Sadly, two of my Iphthiminus serratus larvae have died, leaving me with only three large larvae... I'm afraid I didn't keep their deli cups dark enough, and so only the three larvae with substrate that went all the way up to the lids of their deli cups were able to eat the chick feed I offered them, as their enclosures were darker. The other two had slightly more shallow substrate with almost a CM between the substrate and the lids, and they were the ones who weren't eating their chick feed. 
This also seems to suggest that rotten wood alone is not enough to sustain them, they do require protein of some sort to grow and develop. 

Oh well, this sucks, but hopefully I can rear these three survivors up successfully...

Lastly, on a brighter note, the first of the Eleodes (Blapylis) sp. pupae emerged weeks ago, here are some pictures of a CB adult, still soft and teneral, but fully darkened:




This species is doing well, hopefully I'll have lots more adults soon and can get the next generation up and running! 

Well, that's gonna do it for this post, hope everyone enjoyed, thanks for reading, take care, stay safe, and I'll see you all next time! 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment