Friday, July 24, 2020

Iphthiminus serratus Larvae!

You read the title right, I found larvae in my Iphthiminus serratus enclosure! 😁 I may be the first to get offspring from this species in captivity, which is pretty exciting!

Unfortunately though, despite frequent checkups, the larvae somehow managed to evade detection until the largest were nearly half grown... And I was right about them being cannibalistic like Alobates, as I only found a total of five larvae, evenly spaced from each other in the enclosure... So note to self, as far as this species goes, don't wait until you see larvae up against the glass/plastic to dig around looking for them, because they are very secretive, and by then they may be half grown. 🙃

Anyways, I've isolated the five larvae I've found and put them in 2 oz deli cups with a rotten oak substrate, (which they'll hopefully eat, if not I'll have to sterilize more of the pine wood for them). I'll be offering chick feed and small, probably crushed Eleodes larvae for protein. Hope they'll do well for me! 😄

Here are some pictures of a few of the larger larvae:















They look exactly like Alobates larvae, which shouldn't really surprise me, but for some reason I was expecting them to be more sclerotized, like Coelocnemis larvae are. Hopefully I'll have better luck with them than with my old Alobates larvae, they do seem to be less picky about food, and I'm pretty sure they've been eating some of the chick feed I offer the adults, which now that I think of it, has been disappearing at an abnormal rate lately. 🤔

Well, that's gonna do it for this post, thanks for reading, Hope everyone enjoyed, stay safe, and I'll see you all in the next post! 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment