Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Headlamp Beetle Hype!

Some good news on the Pyrophorus noctilucus front! πŸ˜ƒ

First of all, all five of the adults that matured recently are now active and out of their pupal cells, the last one dug it's way out of it's cell a few nights ago! πŸ˜„ I've had the other four set up in their breeding bin for about two weeks now, which BTW, is a one gallon, well ventilated container with a substrate entirely consisting of moist, crushed rotten hardwood and flake soil, as opposed to the slightly different setup I had planned that I mentioned in the last post about this species.

Secondly, I saw one of the larger individuals ovipositing into the substrate, several nights ago! (7/9) 😁 I never got to see adults from my old trio oviposit, so it's awesome to get to see this behavior for the first time, plus confirm that they are breeding and that offspring are on the way! Still haven't ever seen the adults of this species actually mate though, weird! πŸ˜‚

Here are some pictures of the adults, (none of them glowing this time):





And here's their enclosure
Hoping to see larvae in their enclosure here soon, should only be a few weeks now! 😊

Well, that's gonna do it for today, thanks for reading, hope everyone enjoyed, stay safe, stay distanced, and I'll see you all in the next post! πŸ˜‰

No comments:

Post a Comment