Monday, July 6, 2020

Eleodes nigrina Pupae

My Eleodes nigrina larvae have started pupating! 😁 I actually noticed pupae several days ago, but didn't get any pictures until today.

Unfortunately they do have some grain mites attached to them, there's been a little outbreak of them in the main enclosure for some reason, I think because I never added Oribatid or predatory mites to their enclosure initially... Both have found their way into the setup now, but the grain mites had a bit of a head start, and some attached themselves to the larvae prior to me isolating them.
In any case, the grain mites are not gonna harm the pupae in these numbers, and while the resulting adults will have some on them, they'll fall off once they're moved back to their relatively dry enclosure, where they've not affixed themselves to the adults already in there, only the larvae hanging out in the moist corner of the enclosure.

Well, here are some pictures of one of the pupae:




With any luck I'll start seeing new adults in a couple of weeks! 😁 They pupated just fine in moist, compressed coconut fiber, and so far they seem to be handling a standard, humid pupation setup just fine, so I think they'll be easy to rear to maturity.

Well, that's gonna do it for today, thanks for reading, I hope everyone enjoyed, stay safe and distanced, I'll see you all in the next post! 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment