Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Pyrophorus Adults!!!

Four out of five of my Pyrophorus noctilucus pupae have eclosed, including the one pupa I disturbed and had to remove from it's pupal cell. I'm happy to report all adults seem perfectly healthy, so hopefully I have a pair out of these four and can get a colony established here soon! 😁

I'll be housing them in a moderately ventilated 2 gallon bin, with half of the substrate on one end being made up of flake soil and crushed oak wood, and the half on the other end will just be pure coconut fiber. I'm short on materials, and adults should oviposit in both substrates just fine, the rotten wood on one half is purely for the benefit of the hatchling larvae, which will nibble on it before becoming primarily protein hungry later on in their life cycle.
I'll keep the enclosure moist, give them some bark slabs to hide under and climb up on, and offer fresh fruits for food.

Here are some pictures of the pupa from the last post, further along in it's development. The more disturbed the pupa is, the brighter it glows:







And now the teneral adult, with it's abdomen still extending past the elytra, which is apparently a luminous green as well when teneral:




And lastly, here is the adult when mostly hardened and darkened up, the abdomen still has some shrinking left to do, but that's normal at this stage:








Such an amazing species, so glad to be working with them yet again, fingers crossed they'll start breeding here soon! 😄

Well, that's gonna do it for this post, thanks for reading, I hope everyone enjoyed, stay safe, and I'll see you all next post! 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment