Monday, May 18, 2020

My New Myrmecophilus!

Today I found what I consider my best find all year, I present, the diminutive ant crickets, Myrmecophilus! 😁 These crickets live inside ant nests, and I've seen one or two of them here and there in several locations, but was never able to collect any of them, and never found large groups.

However, today while flipping over partially buried wooden planks, which had ant brood chambers underneath them, I saw a dozen or two of the things! Unfortunately I was only able to collect five of them, as they are very small and can jump pretty well, but I'm hoping out of five I've got a pair or two and can breed these little cuties! (I may go out and try to collect more tomorrow).

I've got them set up in a plastic jar with a cm of old, cheap potting soil (with no harmful additives) at the bottom, a bunch of small bark chips and chunks thrown on top, with more potting soil piled along the edge of half the enclosure, (which is where I'll be placing food most likely). The lid is moderately ventilated, and I plan on keeping them quite humid. Some small white springtails were accidentally collected along with them, and I threw in some small silvers and Oribatid mites for good measure.
For food I'll be offering leaf litter, chick feed, and fruits. Hopefully they'll eat something from that array of foods! 😅

Here are some hastily taken pictures of them, they are very small little crickets, the largest I collected were no more than 4mm long:







So cute right? ☺ I hope I can successfully breed these crickets, it would be awesome if they were as easy to breed as Compsodes or Myrmecoblatta roaches, which lead similar lives as these. 

Well, that's gonna do it for today's post, thanks for reading, I hope everyone enjoyed, stay safe, and I'll see you in the next post! 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment