Sunday, April 26, 2020

Eleodes nigrina Eggs!

Well, about 3-4 days ago I went on another quick bug hunt outside, and was able to find another Eleodes nigrina female, as well as another female Eleodes sp. (subgenus Blapylis). Now that's great news by itself, but when I went to go put the new E.nigrina female in with the one I caught a little while back, I looked at the bottom of the enclosure and saw an egg up against the plastic! 😁 
So it appears my first female has been busy, and I can assure you that where there's one Eleodes egg, there are many more, however said eggs are around 1 mm long, so they're very hard to find except when laid against the glass. 

I did snap a couple pictures of the egg, it's kinda hard to take decent pictures through the plastic so this is the best I could do, but figured I should document each life major stage if possible considering I don't think anyone's bred this species before, (or if they have, I don't think they've published pictures of all life stages):




Tenebrionid eggs can sometimes be difficult to discern from random pale granules of substrate in enclosures, but healthy eggs tend to be perfectly spherical or oval, no jagged edges, and are typically glossy in texture. Egg color can range from bright white to yellow, often slightly transparent. Substrate often sticks to eggs, and thus when sifting through substrate, unless the species lays large eggs, you're unlikely to spot them unless they are laid right up against the sides or bottom of the enclosure.

Anyways, hopefully these Eleodes nigrina eggs will hatch here soon, I am looking forward to rearing the larvae up to adulthood! 😄

Well, that's gonna do it for today's post, thank you for reading, I hope everyone enjoyed, stay distanced, and I'll see you next post! 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment