Sunday, September 10, 2017

Pyrophorus noctilucus Offspring!!!

Well, somehow I forgot to mention this in yesterday's post, but on the 5th, I checked on my Pyrophorus noctilucus enclosure, and I saw several TINY larvae through the bottom of their enclosure! 😁😁😁 I was starting to get really nervous, wondering if I even had a female in my trio or not, I am so thrilled that I have bred these successfully!

According to Gil, I should leave the tiny larvae be for a while and let them get a little bigger before separating them, in their early stages they are quite fragile, and don't become cannibalistic until they get a little bigger anyway. Once they get a little bigger, I will separate them to avoid them cannibalizing on each other, and will put them each in their own deli cups filled with rotten wood.

Unfortunately they are way to small to get good pictures of them, will have to wait until they molt a few times before attempting to get some photos of them.

On top of this great news, the two large larvae I bought from Gil are still doing great, and are about to surpass my original three larvae in length from when they pupated prematurely! 😃 I've been feeding these ones a lot more mealworms than I fed the original trio, mainly to avoid mite problems, and it definitely seems to be working to keep the grain mites at bay.

Well, that's it for this post, just wanted to let you guys know how these were doing, hope everyone enjoyed, will you all soon! 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment