Saturday, August 5, 2017

Anallacta & Arenivaga Updates

My Anallacta nymphs are doing very well, and growing at a good pace too! 😁 They've started to darken up a bit and display more of the colors characteristic of A.methanoides nymphs.

Here are some pictures of them:









Really loving this species so far, hopefully they continue to do well in my care! 😄

My Arenivaga sp. "Algodones Dunes" are doing very well, and apparently I sexed them wrong when I first got them, now that they are bigger it is very plain to see that both are females, not males! Sadly, this doesn't make much of a difference when it comes to breeding, I wish Arenivaga could reproduce via parthenogenesis, unfortunately I don't think they can. 🙁

Additionally, one of my females may be mature, it's hard to tell though. If she is mature, then these definitely aren't A.investigata females, since the females of that species are a lot darker in coloration. However, both of my females have two tarsal claws on each tibia, so they may not be A.darwini either, (unless only the adult males of that species have just one tarsal claw per tibia), so I really have no idea what species they are. 😕

Anyway, here are some pictures of the females:





They have very nice coloration, man how I wish they had mates, would be amazing to get this species established in culture!

Anyways, that's gonna do it for today, I hope everyone enjoyed, will see you all soon! 😉

7 comments:

  1. They beautiful pale honeylike color makes these even better than the white Panchlora, which are not pure white and thus a bit ugly. It's also interesting that the coloration was much less attractive when they were younger.

    Would the stunning appearance alone persuade any other hobbyists to visit the Dunes and get you some more specimens? If they do, the entire roach community would benefit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite lovely, however I think the white Panchlora are the prettiest species in my collection, but you know what they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! :)

      Unfortunately I don't think so, I've asked around a bit and I may have some leads, no one wants to go to the dunes this late in the summer though, it's way too hot. Plus, many of the people I know in CA don't live particularly close to the Algodones dunes either. Hopefully some time next year I may be able to get some more of these beauties, we'll see!

      And sure, you may interview me there! :)

      Delete
  2. PS: Could I "interview" you about coniontises on my talk page?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very glad to hear that both of those species have been doing well and growing for you. :)

    But dang man, it REALLY sucks that you don't have any males to go with those female Arenivaga. Those are the most drop dead gorgeous Corydiids that I've seen....yeah Therea, I'm goin there! :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it sucks so hard, especially since there's a possibility they may be my favorite Arenivaga species. They are much hairier than other Arenivaga I've kept as well, so unique!

      What about Eucorydia aenea? :p

      Delete
    2. Definitely, definitely.

      I never seem to remember them when I'm thinking Corydiids, probably because only like two people in the whole U.S hobby have them. lol But even so, only as adults. ;)

      Delete
    3. Yeah, even Kyle doesn't have any, apparently they aren't that easy to breed successfully and as consistently as other Corydiids... :( Yes, only as adults do they look amazing, as nymphs they are quite dull looking, more so than these Arenivaga for certain!

      Delete