Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Trade With Roachcrossing!!! (Pt 2, Some Misc. Inverts)

This is the second part of a two part post about my trade with Kyle Kandilian, this one is about the miscellaneous invertebrate species I got from him! If you want to read the first post, click here.

Let's start off with my new Armadillidium maculatum "Dalmatian"! I traded some of my Oniscus asellus "Mardi Gras Dalmatian" for this beautiful isopod morph, I received three medium sized individuals, and there were some mancae in their shipping container as well. Two of the larger individuals are mostly white with some dark speckles here and there, and the other almost looks normal, but has some white splotches near it's rear.

I have them in a container filled with a layer of moist coconut fiber, with some bark pieces for hides and lots of dead leaves for them to feed on. I will also be feeding them dog food occasionally.

Here are some pictures of them:









Hopefully they will breed and do well in my care, this is my first time keeping this species, would love to acquire the normal morph one day as well! 🙂

Kyle also sent me a free group of Porcellio ornatus "South" as a surprise, since he was a week late with shipping the package out, it's one of the new Spanish species in the hobby, like Porcellio silvestrii. There are several color morphs of this species being kept, this one is mostly grey, but has some yellow spots near the end of it's body, overall it's a nice looking species that I am happy to have in my collection!

I am keeping them in a setup similar to that of my P.silvestrii, since they basically have the same care requirements, an enclosure with dry coconut fiber as the substrate, with one corner being kept moist at all times, with some sphagnum moss in it to retain the moisture. I am using bark pieces as the hides, and have plenty of dead leaves in the enclosure for them to munch on. I will also feed them dog food from time to time.

Anyway, here are some pictures of them:




I am very happy to have another on of the Spanish species in my collection, let's hope they'll breed for me! 😁

I also got two adult pairs of Embaphion cf. contusum, a really cool little Tenebrionid species, closely related to my E.muricatum. The males have a bit of a mucro, and the females do not, which makes sexing a little easy. They are quite prolific, a few hours after I housed them, I looked at the bottom of their enclosure and found several eggs there! So I should have lots of little larvae soon, hopefully they will be easy to rear!

I have them in a medium sized enclosure with dry coconut fiber as the substrate, with one moist corner. For hides I have a couple of toilet paper rolls, and have some dead leaves on top of the substrate as well. I will be feeding them mostly dog food.

Here are a few pictures I took of them:




I am very excited to have this species in my collection, I really hope they are easy to breed and rear like E.muricatum!

And lastly, I needed something to feed my excess roaches off to, so I ended up getting a Scolopendra longipes. I gotta tell you, when I opened up the box and saw this thing, I was shocked at just how large it was! I was not expecting this monster of a centipede, it is both longer than my S.polymorpha, and way bulkier!

I am keeping it in a plastic container with about an inch and a half of moist coconut fiber as the substrate, which it loves burrowing into. I will be feeding it roaches and any other invertebrates I have excess of, hopefully it has a good appetite! I tried to offer it some food right after putting it in it's enclosure, it was not interested however, and just wanted to burrow.

Unfortunately, it's tendency to burrow makes it hard to photograph, and if you disturb it too much it freaks out and tries climbing out of it's enclosure, which, with a centipede this large, is quite an unnerving sight...
Anyway, here are the best pictures I could get of it:




I really love how this creature looks, can't wait to see it eat!

Anyway, that's it for this two post series, I hope you guys enjoyed! Will be getting yet another package tomorrow, so I may be putting out another post later tomorrow afternoon, or the day after that. See you all soon! 🙂

No comments:

Post a Comment