Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Trade With Roachcrossing!!! (Pt. 1, The Roaches)

Yesterday I received my end of a huge trade with Kyle Kandilian from Roachcrossing, was supposed to get it sooner, but Kyle was busy and unable to ship them when I shipped my end of the trade out. He more than made up for it with the freebies and an extra species though, and I am very happy with this transaction!! 😁 Instead of writing one huge post about my new inverts, I'll be dividing it up into two posts, one about my new roach species, and one about my other new invertebrates. This post will be about my new roaches.

First off, let's start with my new Lucihormetica grossei! I asked for a sexed pair, I assumed he'd send a pair of nymphs, but he surprised me and sent an adult pair! These are pretty bulky, and are really beautiful in person, so happy to be keeping some!

I am housing them in a plastic container filled with a few inches of moist coconut fiber, with some dead leaves on top of the substrate. I will be feeding them dog food, fruits and veggies.

Here are some pictures of them:

Male

Female

I also asked for a pair of Lucihormetica subcincta, and again he surprised me by sending adults instead of nymphs! These guys are really beautiful, love the pale bordering around their abdomen! They are smaller than the grossei, but in my opinion look more attractive than them, (the grossei are still quite beautiful though IMO).

I am keeping these in a setup very similar to my L.grossei, few inches of moist coconut fiber, a few dead leaves on top of the substrate, and will be feeding them the same diet as well.

Here are some pictures of them:

Male



Female

Both of them together
I also took some pictures of the males of both species together, to show just how much bigger the grossei are compared to the subcincta:



I really hope both species do well and reproduce in my care, I am thrilled to finally be keeping members of this genus, they've been on my wish list for quite some time!

In exchange for a large number of my Rhabdoblatta formosana adults, I received a group of Eurycotis improcera nymphs from Kyle. This species is a recent addition to the hobby, and a beautiful one at that! The adults have pale yellow markings on the wings and pronotum that are somewhat similar to E.opaca, and have a orange margin around the abdomen.

I am keeping them in a medium sized plastic container with coconut fiber as the substrate, with bark pieces and dead leaves for hides. I am attempting to keep the enclosure semi-moist, and will be feeding them dog food and fruits. Fruit is apparently quite an important part of this species' diet, and the nymphs don't do well without it.

Here are some pictures of the little guys:





These guys rarely stay still, which makes it really hard to get clear pictures of them. Can't wait until the nymphs mature, this species is quite stunning as adults!

Another one of the species I got was a group of Deropeltis sp. "Jinka" nymphs, a cute little species I've wanted for quite some time now, the adult females are very fuzzy and adorable! The nymphs are pretty cute too, and are brown with red markings on the pronotum and thorax, at least as small nymphs.

I am keeping them in an enclosure with semi-dry coconut fiber as the substrate, with bark pieces and dead leaves for hides. I am keeping some areas under the bark pieces moist, and the rest of the enclosure fairly dry, yet I am trying to keep the ambient humidity high, by spraying entire the enclosure lightly. I will be feeding them dog food, fruits and veggies.

Here are some pictures of the little cuties:





Looking forward to breeding this species, really hoping they'll do well for me!

The other new species I got was the new Panchlora sp. "Costa Rica Yellow" that Kyle added to his site recently, I asked for a pair, but instead he sent a full starter colony of tiny nymphs, and one medium sized one as well, so I'm very happy about that!

I am keeping them in a medium sized plastic container with moist coconut fiber as the substrate, and some bark slabs and dead leaves as hides. Will be feeding them dog food, fruits and veggies.

Here are a couple pictures I took of the biggest nymph:



A nice new addition to my Panchlora collection, can't wait to see the yellow adults in person!

I also asked for another pair of Arenivaga tonkawa, since I'd be really surprised if my last female is actually laying fertile oothecae, he ended up sending me 6+ nymphs and an ootheca, so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to breed them this time around, I'd have to mess up big time to kill them all! 😛 Didn't take any pictures of them since I've done so in the past and I just wanted to get them in their enclosure ASAP, just thought I'd let you guys know I got more.

Anyway, those are all my new cockroach acquisitions, will post about the other invertebrates I got from this trade tomorrow! Hope you guys enjoyed this post, see you all soon!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, when you said "large", you really meant it! LOL

    I love the E.improcera and Deropeltis sp. "Jinka", hope they do well for you along with all the others. :)

    Can't wait to hear about the others tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup lol! :D

      Me too, so happy to have all of these new species, hopefully I can successfully breed them all! :)

      Delete