Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Pasimachus sp. "Arizona" Egg!!

Well, last night while doing maintenance on my Pasimachus sp "Arizona" enclosure, I noticed a large, smooth, white object was stuck to the side of the enclosure, a few millimeters above the substrate. At first I thought it was the entrails of their last meal or something, it was so large, it took me a while to realize it was an egg!

I gently took it off the side, apparently it had gotten stuck in a water droplet or something, so it came off easily. I have placed it in a deli cup with a thin layer of coconut fiber, with any luck it'll hatch within a week or so! It is by far, the largest beetle egg I have ever seen, a true monster of an ova!

Unfortunately I don't know exactly what caused my female to oviposit, it's probably just a seasonal thing, plus I've been feeding them a lot lately. Really hope she ends up laying more eggs, I somehow doubt it though, in both of the only two reports I've found about people getting their Pasimachus to oviposit, they only ever got a single egg out of their females. Don't know why, but that seems to be the norm for Pasimachus in captivity, maybe I'll break that record though, we'll see... 😊

I took a couple pictures of the egg, here it is:



Hopefully it will hatch soon, I expect the larva that comes from this egg will be rather large! Will post as soon as it hatches!

Anyway, that's gonna be it for today, may write another post tomorrow about a new addition to my collection, if all goes well I'll be getting a package tomorrow. Hope you all enjoyed this post, will see you all soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment