Saturday, July 9, 2016

More New Roaches, Some Old Ones, & A Jerusalem Cricket Update

So this week I did a trade with Alan Jeon, cockroach extraordinaire, I gave him one of my female D.orini for one of his male D.orini, so my all female problem has been solved! :) Additionally, he will be going on a two week trip to AZ with some friends (including Kyle from Roachcrossing.com), and he was concerned some of his species may die off in that time, so he sent me free starter colonies of Balta notulata, Cariblatta minima and Latiblattella rehni for me to breed, so if his cultures die out I can send him replacements once my colonies reproduce. I am very excited to have the opportunity to breed these roaches, I love me some tiny Ectobiids! (And any other size Ectobiid, really).

Latiblattella rehni look similar to Cariblatta but have longer wings and seems to have less dark markings on them. I am keeping mine in a medium sized container with a layer of moist coconut fiber, and they have bark pieces and dead leaves as hides.

Here are a few pictures of the nymphs:





Cariblatta minima used to be known as a subspecies of C.lutea, however it seems they have been promoted to species level. They are very similar to C.lutea but have shorter tegmina. I am keeping them in a medium sized container with a layer of moist coconut fiber as the substrate, though I will be letting the substrate dry out a little bit, and they have bark pieces and dead leaves as hides. 

Here are some pictures of an adult female:






A very cute little species, hopefully they will do well in my care!

By the way, on the subject of Cariblatta, the C.lutea I got from Alan a while back have been doing very well, and a few days ago I found tiny hatchlings in the container! :)

Balta notulata is a Ectobiid not common in the US hobby, though they are established in the Europe hobby. I am keeping mine in a medium sized container with a layer of moist coconut fiber as the substrate, with bark and dead leaves as hides. I will be feeding them the normal fare of dog food, supplemented with fruits and veggies.

I was able to get one picture of one of the nymphs, these guys are really elusive:


Hopefully these will do well for me!

My Corydidarum pygmaea have been doing well, just wanted to post some pictures of my adult pair together:




Now on to my Jerusalem crickets, they all seem to be doing well except for Mangle, he may be on death's door. Jiminy has matured into an adult male, and Twist just molted a couple of days ago into a huge adult female! Hopefully within a few weeks I will mate the two and end up with an impregnated female!

Here are some pictures of Twist:





Will definitely keep you all posted on  any developments with these, hopefully I can successfully breed them! 

Anyway, that's gonna do it for today, I hope you all enjoyed, and I will see you guys next post! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment