Saturday, February 20, 2016

Parcoblatta Maturation Update!

Well, all my Parcoblatta have been doing splendidly! Even the ones that were dying, like the Parcoblatta bolliana and Parcoblatta unknown "fulvescens like caudelli" are doing better, they have both stopped dying and some are starting to mature! The point of this update is to talk about the Parcoblatta that are are maturing.

First let's talk about my Parcoblatta virginica. They are all doing well, and most of them have gotten close to maturing. One of them matured into an adult female a couple of weeks ago, I've been too lazy to try to get some pictures of her, but I finally got around to it, so here they are!

Adult female P.virginica


She is crazy fast, and can climb, so it was hard to get some pictures of her. I think one of the other nymphs is a subadult male, so she should have someone to mate with soon!

My Parcoblatta bolliana are doing well, they were dying off but I increased substrate depth and mixed in some ZooMed Jungle-Mix, which is a blend of fir bark and peat moss, with my coconut fiber. This seems to have made the ecosystem in the cage more rich, the roaches are doing much better than before and they are all getting close to adulthood. There are two subadult males in the enclosure, and one of the females had matured! 

Here are some pictures of her:

Adult female P.bolliana


If you look closely, you can see the tiny wing buds on this female. It looks like I will be breeding this species successfully, which makes me very happy! This is a very cute Parcoblatta, and I would hate to lose it.

Finally, my Parcoblatta americana have been doing well without a diapause, and I am now seeing some F1 adults in the cage! I am very happy this strain has done well in captivity, most strains of this species don't. 

Here are some pictures of the adults:

Adult male P.americana



Adult female P.americana


Like the P.bolliana, P.americana females have tiny wingbuds as well. 

All of my Parcoblatta seem to be doing very well, I think I can safely say I am pretty decent at rearing this genus. Hopefully I will be getting more this year, I would love to one day own all of the Parcoblatta species.

Well, I hope you guys enjoyed, again suggestions for post topics are welcome, and I will see you all next time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment