Monday, December 28, 2015

My New Blaberus "discoidalis" and Cariblatta lutea!

Here are two of my new roach species, the discoid roaches, Blaberus "discoidalis", and my small yellow roaches, Cariblatta lutea!

I have about a dozen nymphs of the Blaberus "discoidalis", which seems to be a hybrid of B.craniifer and possibly B.fusca. They are in a medium sized container with about two inches of moist coconut fiber as the substrate and some dead leaves on top. They are being fed the usual roach diet, and seem to eat a lot! I would like to see what these guys look like as adults.

Here are a few pictures of some nymphs:








These guys are doing well, and should be easy to raise to adulthood and breed.

Now let's take a look at my small yellow roaches, Cariblatta lutea.

I started with about 8 or so nymphs of this species, one died the other day and grew mold all over. The others are doing fine. 

They are in a small plastic container with an air tight lid, and small holes poked in the sides. The substrate is a mix of coconut fiber and rotten wood, and I am keeping the enclosure semi-dry. These guys can be picky when it comes to moisture levels, the ootheca especially. They like it dryish, but not too dry. For hides they have dead leaves and a piece of eggcarton. They are eating dog food right now, I will try feeding them some apple later this week.

They are really fast and can climb well, and are very hard to get pictures of. I was able to get a few half decent pictures of one individual, here they are (FYI, it is missing one cerci):




Hopefully I will be successful with this species, they are very good looking and have very intricate markings on their bodies.

Well I hope you guys enjoyed this post, and in case I don't do a blog post by then, I hope you all have a happy new year! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment