Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Corydiid Babies, Rhabdoblatta Adult & More!!!

Finally, I've done it! I have successfully bred Arenivaga tonkawa! 😁 This is my 3rd or 4th try with this species, and I finally did it! It's ironic, considering I've bred Arenivaga species much harder than these in the past, apparently all that's needed for tonkawa to do well is excellent ventilation, but also more humidity than most of the other Arenivaga I've worked with. But yeah, my adult females are still pumping out ooths like there's no tomorrow, and there are tons of hatchlings now! 

Here are some pics of a couple hatchlings:





So dang cute! 😊 Hopefully these continue to do well for me, and my track record with Arenivaga (besides floridensis) can continue to be excellent!

I dug around in my Eucorydia linglong bin the other day, and found 8 nymphs, from two different broods in the setup! Which means my female produced at least two viable ooths in the short time I kept her warm, and I likely actually have closer to a dozen or more nymphs ATM (I didn't sift through all the substrate, and nymphs play dead when disturbed, so finding ANY of them is a huge pain). So, definitely still breedable numbers, I didn't screw up THAT badly apparently... 😅

Here are a couple "meh" quality pics of a few nymphs:



Wasn't really in the mood for taking pics properly when I was doing maintenance on them... 😂 But you know what they say, "pics or it didn't happen". Hopefully these nymphs grow well for me, will probably get more just to ensure the colony is stable and I can establish them here in the US hobby, but yeah, so far so OK!

Well, my first Rhabdoblatta parvula female has matured! Unfortunately she is rather deformed, IDK what happened but her wings didn't come out right, she's missing a hind leg, and her entire exoskeleton is covered in little bumps and wrinkles, almost makes her look like she's covered in water droplets/dirt. But other than that she seems lively and healthy, so should still mate with my male and make some babies. Plus I've got other female subadults too, so I'm not too concerned!

Here are some pictures of the less than perfect female:





Hopefully she mates and gets gravid soon, she should still be able to produce a nice brood or two of babies no problem 🤞. Once another one of the females matures that's not deformed, I'll be sure to get some pictures and share them with y'all! For now, consider this a sneak peek, and a positive breeding update. 😄

Lastly, just wanted to announce that I've gotten a second Asbolus m. mexicanus to pupate! And have several other larvae in the pre-pupal stage, so hopefully there's more where that came from! The clay method definitely seems to be the best, makes their pupal cells so much more stable.

Well, that does it for this post, thanks for reading, hope everyone enjoyed, stay safe, and I'll see y'all next time! 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment