Sunday, July 5, 2020

Camel Cricket Updates

Well, my last surviving Ceuthophilus gracilipes gracilipes female matured to adulthood a couple days ago! 😁 She did not grow back her hindlegs obviously, that's a little too much regeneration for one molt, though the scabs where her legs popped off have healed over nicely. Her antennae are also a little droopy at the ends, as she molted in an odd, enclosed area in the enclosure and probably didn't have enough room to stretch them out to their full extent as they hardened... But other than these minor defects she came out fine, healthy, and has already started chowing down on food. 😅 She also has no problem climbing up on her bark hides despite only having four legs, and that's where I find her most of the time.

Here are some pictures of her in all her four legged glory:








Beautiful right? The adult coloration of this species is just stunning! 😍 The banding on the legs is really nice.

Considering all she's survived, her unique look and her sheer willpower to survive, I think I'll give this cricket a name... Athena seems suitable to me, if a little dramatic for a cricket. 😅 Let's hope Athena here lives a nice long life in my care!

As for my Ceuthophilus agassizii, they're doing OK, and the females were laying eggs, however their substrate has been completely overtaken by Leucocoprinus mycelium, which has kind of stopped them from ovipositing much, and the eggs they've laid up against the glass that I can see have the stuff growing on the substrate on top of them, so I don't even know if the hatchlings would be able to dig their way to the surface... So I'm probably gonna rehouse the adults to a new enclosure with fresh substrate, dig up and hopefully hatch out what old eggs I can find, and toss out the old substrate.

Also, I did recently catch an additional female for my culture, she's an immature one for sure though. Just thought I'd mention it, should probably look for another male TBH, but I mean my two adult females are laying anyways, so it doesn't matter too much.

Well, that's gonna do it for today, I hope you all enjoyed, thanks for reading, stay safe and distanced, and I'll see you all in the next post! 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment