Thursday, April 16, 2020

A Couple of Nice Finds! Pt. 2

So today I went back to the spot I collected in a few days ago, as I realized if my female Eleodes nigrina and E.obscura were recently matured females, just starting to come to the surface, they may not have been mated... Luckily, I quickly found a male of each! (Two male nigrina actually, but I only collected one).

Here are some pictures of the Eleodes obscura mating behavior, the male got right to work! 😂



I may release both males in a week or so, they can be slightly annoying to females and impede their oviposition progress, I just need to make sure my females have been fertilized, then the males can go back to whatever they were doing before I caught them. 😛

Interestingly, both the obscura and nigrina females have eaten a LOT already, the obscura female alone ate more chick feed than my entire Bantua sp. "Namibia" colony does in the same amount of time... And I've got a few dozen of those! I hope this means they're stocking up on food for egg production, we will see! 😁

While collecting the obscura and nigrina females a few days ago, I also found a male Eleodes sp. (subgenus Blapylis), a cute little species I've bred before, but since it was a male, it was kinda useless to me at that moment. Today, while finding the obscura and nigrina males, I found a female subgenus Blapylis... 😂 Hopefully she's been mated, if not, looks like I'll have to go digging for a male... Again. 😅

Got her set up in a little, well ventilated Tupperware with coconut fiber as the substrate, will keep a corner of the substrate humid, the rest bone dry, and offer chick feed for food. This species is very easy to breed, not picky at all, and I may have use for them as feeders in the future, as their full grown larvae are almost Tenebrio molitor sized...








Hopefully she'll do as well for me as this species has done in the past, haven't seen any of these for a couple years now, had no idea they were right under my nose! 😀

Well, that's gonna do it for this post, I hope everyone enjoyed, thanks for reading, stay distanced, and I'll see you all in the next post! 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment