Thursday, August 22, 2019

Goodbye Apsena! :)

Hey guys, hope all is well with you! 🙂 I just wanted to write this post explaining what happened to my Apsena sp. "Kuna" colony, because as a few of you may have noticed, they are no longer listed on my "Current Species List".

I was never really planning on keeping these beetles long term, I just wanted to see if they could be bred in captivity easily, (they definitely can), and wanted to get photos of larvae and pupae for science, as no one's ever bred this genus as far as I know, nor were there any photos of larvae or pupae in existence.

Well, I've accomplished all my goals with this species, and after rearing a few to adulthood I was planning on releasing them all back where I found them, but it turns out a few keepers wanted to continue on with breeding them, so I ended up splitting the colony in half and sending them to two US Teneb breeders, one of which is the author of the awesome blog, All About Arthropods, which I highly suggest you check out if you haven't already! 😁

So yeah, I am no longer breeding this species, but I did successfully rear around 50 adults, which is impressive considering I started the colony with half a dozen adults in late April/May... Definitely a fast growing, prolific and hardy species, which I hope will persist in the hobby for quite some time to come, thanks to the breeders I've sent them to!

Well that's gonna do it for this post, thanks for reading, hope everyone enjoyed, and I'll see you all next time! 😉

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Now that's a weird sentence if taken out of context! 😂 But I'm glad to hear it, hope they breed prolifically for you!

      Delete