Monday, May 1, 2017

Some More Cockroach Updates

My African Bullet roach culture has really been doing well, lots of breeding going on, though there is also a certain amount of antennae nipping going on, not too much though. I'm a little concerned about oothecae cannibalism as well, so I will have to keep an eye on that.

Anyway, here are some pictures I took of them this afternoon:




Overall, my culture is thriving right now, which is great! 🙂 Let's hope it stays this way!

So, I have moved my Arenivaga sp. "Algodones Dunes" to a substrate of plain coconut fiber. I noticed they weren't burrowing much in their sandy substrate, and looked a little thin as well, so I moved one of them to a small container filled with coconut fiber, and after a few days I noticed it was burrowing much more and had gotten a lot more plump as well, so I've moved both to a coconut fiber substrate now.

Guess sand really is a bad substrate choice, even for species in sandy environments, as it's abrasive to their cuticle and thus causes them to lose moisture rapidly, which is probably why they were getting thinner. Lesson learned, and just in time it seems!

Anyway, I took some pictures of one of the nymphs, it really didn't want to stay still, so they aren't of the best quality:





Glad they are doing better now, can't wait to see what species they end up being! 😊

My Pseudomops septentrionalis culture is doing great, quite a bit of them have been maturing lately, and breeding as well! Don't know if I've mentioned this before, but they really like apples, so I've been feeding them those quite regularly lately.

Took some pictures of them today, here they are:







I really love the way the adults of this species look, such a pretty US native roach! 😀

Still waiting on my Panchlora sp. "Speckled" females to give birth, they've been burrowing a lot, one of them even constructed a little chamber at the bottom of the enclosure that I thought may be a birthing chamber or something, but it seems that was not the case. Oh well, at least they seem pretty healthy, hopefully I'll start seeing some nymphs in the enclosure soon!

Here are a few pictures I took of one of the females the other day:




In the last picture you can really see the tiny white speckles on the wings nicely. Will keep you all updated on this beautiful new addition to the hobby, hopefully they'll reproduce soon!

Well, that's gonna do it for today, I hope you all enjoyed this post, will see you guys next time! 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment