Wednesday, March 15, 2017

My New Compsodes schwarzi & Parcoblatta caudelli!

Today I got my end of a trade with Alan Jeon, (AKA Cariblatta lutea on the Allpet roaches forum), I got a group of about 10 Compsodes schwarzi, a really small native roach species in the family Corydiidae, and the only member of it's genus in the hobby, and he also sent a free group of Parcoblatta caudelli as a little birthday gift, (my birthday was this Monday), which was really nice of him. :)

The Compsodes schwarzi are very cute little things, most of mine are presub adults, and there are a couple subadults as well. Apparently they are usually found in or around ant nests, as Alan and Kyle Kandilian collected them from trapjaw ant nests, (presumably Odontomachus clarus) last year, and another member of the Allpet roaches forum found a few in an ant colony a few years back, didn't mention which species of ant though...

Luckily in captivity they have proven easy to care for and breed, and don't seem to require being kept with ants at all! I am keeping them in a small plastic container with a layer of moist coconut fiber as the substrate, and I have placed a bunch of small pieces of bark in the enclosure as hides. I also added a few small white springtails to the enclosure, (which I believe are Cyphoderus similis, which incidentally are also commonly associated with ants), and will be feeding the roaches mostly dog food.

Here are some pictures of the Compsodes:









I love these little guys, I'm really hoping they'll do well for me!

The Parcoblatta caudelli nymphs are quite large compared to the other Parcoblatta species I have, I love their coloration as well! They are very active and fast, and I am very happy to have them in my collection!

I have them in a medium sized plastic container with a layer of moist coconut fiber as the substrate, with cardboard pieces and dead leaves as hides. Their diet will be mainly dog food, supplemented with carrots from time to time.

Here are some pictures of the nymphs:







Really love this species of Parcoblatta, it's the only species which has macropterous females, (except for certain strains of P.pennsylavanica), and the females can even fly! Hope they breed well for me!

Anyway, that's gonna be it for today, I hope you guys enjoyed this post, and I'll see you all next time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment