Tuesday, January 31, 2017

More Jerusalem Cricket Eggs & A Couple Roach Updates

Yesterday I took a look at Ripper's enclosure and saw an egg in the substrate through the side of the container. I thought it may have been an extra egg from her last clutch that I missed, and so I dug it up carefully, and ended up finding six eggs! Today I examined the enclosure more carefully and found another six close to where the others were, so it looks like she laid another clutch of twelve eggs! I'm very excited that she has laid so many eggs already, here's hoping they all hatch!

Will keep you guys posted as to any new developments!

I am very happy to announce the introduction of a new species to my collection, I have acquired five oothecae of the Gisborne Cockroach, Drymaplaneta semivitta! It is a species that has been bred in Japan for a while and has come and gone from the European hobby, cultures can apparently be difficult to maintain over a long period of time, for what reason exactly I don't know. I have no idea if the oothecae will end up hatching or not, as they were in the mail for a week and the weather has been pretty chilly, but I'm really hoping they will!

Anyway, I took some pictures of their enclosure and of the oothecae themselves, here they are!

The enclosure

The oothecae

Now, the oothecae are a bit shriveled and dimpled, which in other species suggests the oothecae are duds, however apparently this is a normal feature of this species' oothecae, according to this site here.

Fingers crossed the oothecae end up hatching, I'll definitely try taking some pictures of the hatchlings if they do!

Lastly, I wanted to give you guys a small update on my Parcoblatta zebra. They are doing pretty well, the nymphs my original adults produced have already matured and are reproducing themselves, so it looks like I'll have a sizable colony before long! :)

Here are some pictures of an adult female:





This species is definitely a pretty one, and I am very glad to have some in my collection!

Anyways, that's gonna be it for today, I hope you guys enjoyed, and I'll see you all next post! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment