Sunday, September 25, 2016

Embaphion, Eusattus and Paranauphoeta Updates!

My Embaphion muricatum are doing well, I was able to rear most of the larva I bought into adults, and now the larva that my adults produced are already ready to pupate! This species has a pretty fast development rate, almost comparable to the growth rates of Tenebrio molitor!

Here are some pictures of the adults:






This is such a neat species of darkling beetle, and very easy to rear. Hopefully this species will continue to do well in my care! :)

On the other end of the spectrum, my Eusattus muricatus larva have not been doing all that great, apparently this species has a poor larval survival rate in captivity, the amount of larva in the cage compared to the amount of eggs laid is disappointingly small.

Still, the larva that are alive seem to be healthy, and they are already quite large, a little over two times as long as the adults. They may be close to pupating, I will let them be for a few more weeks and then try to isolate a few of the larva for pupation.

Here are some pictures of a large larva:





I really hope there will be enough larva to create a few adult pairs, already the number of larva alive seems to be less than the number of adults I started with, which is not a good sign.

My female Paranauphoeta discoidalis seems to have died , as I could not find her anywhere in the enclosure. However, she left me with 20 beautiful nymphs, which is more than enough to sustain the population!

Here are some pictures of the cuties:





They are growing much faster than I suspected they would, which is a pleasant surprise. This species is really pretty throughout it's whole lifespan, and I am very happy to have some in my collection!

Anyway, that's all for this post, hope you guys enjoyed, and I'll see you all next time! :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, the E.muricatum are very unique and cool-looking darklings!
    Glad you got a good amount of nymphs from your female, they're very beautiful, the orange blotch on their back reminds me a lot of P.angustipennis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, E.muricatum are very cool looking, certainty one of the most unique looking Tenebrionids in the US.

      Thanks, me too! I know, the nymphs of Paranauphoeta always remind me of Panesthia angustipennis cognata nymphs, very pretty. :)

      Delete