Tuesday, July 5, 2016

New Roaches!

Got a couple more species of roach from Erin last week, unfortunately due to some pretty nasty scratches my cat gave me I was unable to photograph them until now.

First off she gave me a species of roach I've been wanting for years, Arenivaga bolliana!! This species is one of the largest, if not the largest species of Arenivaga in the world. They are still pretty small compared to other roaches, but are very cool nonetheless. She sent an adult female, a female nymph and two male nymphs.

I am keeping them in a medium sized container filled with dry coconut fiber with a little sphagnum moss mixed in, and a layer of dead leaves on top of that. I'm feeding them with the dead leaves and some dog food. Hopefully they will do well for me, can't wait to see one of the males mature!
Anyway, here are some pictures of the beasties:

Nymph (I just grabbed this one out of the container without checking which sex it is, I'm pretty sure it's the female nymph though)


Adult female



Subadult male

Also, if anyone was wondering, here's how to sex these guys:


The female's segments end in one large segment, meanwhile the male's end in two small ones. This sexing method works for all Corydiids, and is similar in other roach groups.

Secondly, she gave me a dozen or so Parcoblatta fulvescens, both nymphs and adults of both sexes. I have them in a container filled with moist coconut fiber, and have bark slabs, dead leaves, toilet paper rolls and some sphagnum moss as hides. I'm feeding them dog food and carrots.

Here are some pictures of an adult female, she was the only one who would cooperate with the camera, I will try to get some pictures of the males and nymphs soon:




Well that's going to do it for today, I hope you guys enjoyed, and I'll see you all next time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment