Saturday, July 16, 2016

New Darkling Beetle, a Motyxia Update & a Small Stenopelmatus Update

A few days ago I was walking down the biking trail in my neighborhood, and I was looking under debris under a willow tree, and under a rock I found a Eleodes sp. darkling beetle. Now there are many species of Eleodes that are quite common here, however this particular species is one I have only seen once before, about an hour's drive away. Unfortunately I lost that one specimen a few minutes after I caught it while pursuing a bull snake, luckily I was able to collect this one with no problems, I am really hoping it is a female as I would love to try and breed it.

I have it housed in a small container with a thin layer of dry coconut fiber and am feeding it dog food, I will set up a proper container for it soon.
Here is a picture of it:






I was thinking E.longicollis, however that species is much more smooth looking, this specimen is pitted and more textured than E.longicollis. It may be E.nigrinus, I'm waiting for one of the experts on Bugguide.net to identify it, hopefully I'll get a species ID eventually.
EDIT: Turns out it is E.nigrinus, ID'd by Andrew Johnston.

BTW, the Eleodes "caudiferus" I've found here in Idaho are actually Eleodes longipilosus, thanks to Andrew Johnston on Bugguide for the info on telling the differences between the two. Apparently E.caudiferus does not range into Idaho, and E.longipilosus is covered in long setae, (hairs), which E.caudiferus lacks.

My single surviving Motyxia cf. tiemanni adult from BIC is still doing well, the eggs have not hatched yet, hopefully they will within a few months.
I took a few pictures of her a little while ago, thought I would share them with you guys:




I am really hoping the eggs all hatch, would love to get these established in captivity.

My Jerusalem cricket pair is doing well, just wanted to show you guys the male's enclosure inside the female's:


Hopefully the female will fatten up within a week or two, I really want the both of them to be well fed and not hungry when I mate them to prevent any cannibalism. Will keep you all updated on them.

Well that's gonna do it for today, I hope you guys enjoyed, and I will see you all next post! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment