Thursday, June 16, 2016

Some More New Invertebrates!

I just received a package today from my friend Erin on AB, who has generously sent me the following:

2 sexed pairs of Pasimachus depressus
1 sexed pair of Pasimachus sp. "Arizona"
5 Kukulcania hibernalis slings
4 Pseudomops septentrionalis adults
5 or so Oxidus gracilis

I am very excited to have the Pasimachus, I've never actually kept any but they have been on my wish list for a long time, I will be attempting to breed them, and will be sure to keep you all updated on their progress. I am keeping each pair in their own cage, as having more than two of these predatory beetles in with each other seems rather risky to me. Their cages are filled with a couple inches of coconut fiber and sand, I have not added hides yet since they seem to burrow, but I may add some bark for them to hide under. The Pasimachus from AZ may be P.depressus, but seem smaller and more slender than that species, perhaps they are P.californicus? Then again, P.californicus are supposed to be even bigger than depressus, so...

Anyway, here are some pictures of my new warrior beetles!

Pasimachus sp. "Arizona" male

Pasimachus sp. "Arizona" female

Pasimachus depressus male


Here you can see the blue metallic margin that goes along the pronotum and elytra
Pasimachus depressus female


The Kukulcania hibernalis, AKA "Black hole spiders" are very cool spiders that can take several years to mature, however females can live over 8 years as adults, which is really long for a true spider. I received 5 spiderlings, which have all been separated into their own deli cups. Their cages each have a thin layer of coconut fiber and a piece of eggcarton in them, hopefully they will start making webs soon.

Here are some pictures of the tiny little things:




Hopefully they will do well in my care, would love to breed these little guys!

My Pseudomops septentrionalis have not been doing well at all, and it seems they are in fact sterile. Thankfully Erin sent me four adults, two of which are females which are almost certainly fertile. Hopefully these new individuals will reproduce and start a colony, as this is a very pretty species that I would hate to lose.

My Oxidus gracilis have not been doing too good either, so she sent me a few adults of those as well.
Really happy to have all of these new invertebrates, thanks Erin!

Lastly, I just wanted to tell you guys that unfortunately, my camera can not get pictures or videos of my Motyxia glowing, however they do glow, and it is a sight to behold! :)

Anyway that's gonna do it for today, I hope you guys enjoyed, and I'll see you all next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment