Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Another Click Beetle Project

I caught a few Aeolus sp this week, and I am going to try to breed them! I have kept this species before, with less than satisfying results. They will lay eggs in moist coconut fiber, and the hatchling larva are tiny. However, I had assumed that they were the normal wireworm type, and that they could peacefully co-exist with each other. Turns out, these guys are like mini Alaus sp larva, and are highly predatory and cannibalistic. After a few months, I was left with one big, fat larva that eventually pupated and matured into an adult. This time, I plan on separating the larva and will feed them tiny mealworms or fungus gnat larva, etc. I found two adults and one nearly mature larva, I will try to find some more this week. Here are some pics!

Adults


Larva

Hopefully this attempt will be successful! Anyway, hope you guys enjoyed! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment