Monday, February 16, 2015

My new Polyphaga saussurei!

I recently got 6 mixed nymphs from roachcrossing.com, and they are very cute! They eat mostly dead leaves, and will nibble on dog food, fruits and veggies. They take a long time to grow, sometimes taking up to 2 years to reach adulthood! However, I am prepared to wait, because the adults are big and pretty cool looking. This species is cool, because it reproduces by parthenogenesis! Meaning there are no males, only females. Here are some pics of my nymphs!



My largest nymph

Here is my setup
I am keeping them dry, with a moist area on the side opposite of the food bowl. The substrate is a mix of coconut fiber, long fibered sphagnum moss, and dead leaves. They spend most of their time underground, so no hides are needed. I hope I can rear them successfully!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment