Sunday, February 22, 2015

My Coelocnemis sp

I caught these last summer while camping. They were found in and around a rotting cottonwood stump. They are slow, and have really long legs for a darkling beetle. They eat dog food, fruits and veggies, and have a fondness for carrots. The substrate is coconut fiber with some chunks of rotting cottonwood in it. I keep it dry with a moist corner. Sadly, I have not been able to get them to lay any eggs. Here are some pictures!

Male
Male and female pair, male on the left, female on the right.
Here's the cage.
A cool thing about this species is the golden hairs on the underside of the legs, you can't really see it in the pictures though. Females have much less hairs on the legs than the males, which how I have been sexing mine. Hope you guys enjoy!

1 comment: