Saturday, February 21, 2015

Eleodes hispilabris

These were my first pet beetles, I found one pregnant female one afternoon in my driveway. I put her in a cage with some coconut fiber, and two weeks later, I found many larva in the cage! I feed the adults and larva dog food, fruits and veggies. The substrate is coconut fiber with a little sand, or at least it was, it is now mostly frass! I keep them dry, with a moist corner. I do not have any pictures of the cage or the larva yet, but I will get around to taking some pics soon.  For now, here are some pictures of the adults.
                                           
My first female

Male and female pair, female on the left, male on the right
This species has proven very easy to breed. One female can lay TONS of eggs, and the larva and pupa have a high survival rate. Hope you guys enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment